Our rigorously developed Gifted Education Programme aims to develop each and every student’s potential to the fullest through a three-tier model. All teachers are mobilised under the same tent.
- To meet the needs of the gifted and talented students and to strive for realization of their potentials.
- To provide sequential and multiple educational activities as well as funding support to gifted/talented students at different levels.；
- To develop different skills of gifted students with particular reference to leadership, communication, creativity and the methods to learn.
To cultivate self-confidence, positive attitude, sense of justice and social responsibility of gifted students.
The school takes positive steps in preparing students for competitions. However, inter-school competitions only involve the minorities. Tying up students in contests would be very tiresome, let alone depriving them of whole person development. Gifted Education programme is not just training for competitions.
Irrespective of what domain a student excels in, the school would offer support to maintain his/her academic performance.
Programmes and Support to Gifted and Talented Students
- Quality education to all students: Secondary One and Secondary Two Enrichment Course, school-based Science, Integrated Humanities, Information Technology and Visual Art course (please refer to http://www.cfss.edu.hk/ec.html for further details)
- School-based pull-out programs: Conducted by our experienced teachers, topics include: Leadership, Creativity, Mathematics, Biliterate and Trilingual Ability (for S.1 to S.3), Information Technology, Scientific Investigation (environmental studies, renewable energy, medicine herbs, astronomy etc.).
|Student participating in talks by experts from different areas|
|Selected students having the opportunities to carry out university-level experiments|
|Biliterate and Trilingual Enrichment Course|
- Employ external coaches to give pull-out trainings for selected students with talents in sports, Chinese music, drawing, creative writing, public speaking, debates, drama, interview, creative media production etc. In addition, the school also nominates and sponsors talented students to take gifted education courses run by tertiary institutes during holidays. Themes include: speech skills, mathematics, medicine herbs, relativity, interviewing and reporting skills and digital arts.
- Awards for the Exceptionally Gifted Student in Multiple Intelligence are offered to students talented at certain areas. This is to aim at subsidizing their coaches fee and expenses on competitions abroad. The average spending is about $80,000 per year, benefiting 15 – 20 students, with talents ranging from sports, music, dancing, art, go etc. The school also provides academic and psychological support to these students.
- Students with outstanding performances in leadership, mathematics, humanities, science or with multi-disciplinary talents are nominated to take part gifted education programmes organised by universities, relevant organizations and industries: Education Bureau Fung Hon Chu Gifted Education Centre, Hong Kong Academy for Gifted Education, The University of Hong Kong, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Microsoft, Cisco etc.
- Teachers and teaching-assistants would give personal tutorials to students absent from school for special training and competitions.
|Briefing session of school nomination to external gifted education programmes|
|Students participating in various competitions to sharpen their presentation skills|
|Our Leaders of Tomorrow members receiving awards after conducting a series of social service in 2019|
The work on gifted education done by the school is well commended by external organisations including Education Bureau (EDB) and The Hong Kong Academy for Gifted Education (HKAGE). Apart from being the seed school in gifted education programmes organized by EDB Fung Hon Chu Gifted Education Centre and The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology. We are honoured to be one of the schools visited by gifted-education specialists invited by HKAGE from the USA and Russia. Our principal, Mr. Au Kwong Wing, was also invited by EDB and HKAGE to share our valuable experience in gifted education in our school these years.
|CFSS meeting two U.S. renowned scholars of gifted education, Dr. Joyce Van Tassel-Baska and Dr. Kimberly Chandler|
|A group of Russian education specialists and the school’s Gifted Education Team discussing the development of gifted education|
|Dr. Jimmy Wong Kam-yiu from The Hong Kong Academy for Gifted Education|
|CFSS visiting St. Paul's Secondary School to exchange ideas of implementing gifted education|